1. Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff’s office, state patrol station, or the office
of a division of criminal investigation special agent of the department.
2. Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured correctional facility.
3. The facility established under s. 46.055. (Secure mental health facility for sexually violent Persons)
4. The center established under s. 46.056. (Wisconsin Resource Center)
5. Any secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institute under s. 51.05, including a facility
designated as the Maximum Security Facility at Mendota Mental Health Institute.
6. Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse.
7. Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
8. A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.
(b) The prohibitions under par. (a) do not apply to any of the following:
1. A weapon in a vehicle driven or parked in a parking facility located in a building that is used as, or
any portion of which is used as, a location under par. (a).
2. A weapon in a courthouse or courtroom if a judge who is a licensee is carrying the weapon or if
another licensee or out−of−state licensee, whom a judge has permitted in writing to carry a weapon,
is carrying the weapon.
3. A weapon in a courthouse or courtroom if a district attorney, or an assistant district attorney, who
is a licensee is carrying the weapon.
(2) Possession of Firearm In School Zone.
(a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable
cause to believe, is in or on the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony. Any individual who
knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is
within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d),
or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).
3. A person possessing a gun that is not loaded and is any of the following:
b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle.
(1)(b) “School” is defined as “a public school, parochial or private school, or tribal school, as defined in s.
115.001(15m), which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 and
which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school, or